One Day Your In.....

And the next day...Your Out? What does Heidi's line have to do with interiors? Well lately I have been pondering what happens when something you love becomes mainstream? Or really I guess the question is what happens when something you love becomes a trend and then "out" are you then "out"? Then this weekend I read this post on Velvet & Linen and it appears that I am not the only one wondering this.
Image Wisteria
These days it is hard to find anything unique to call your own when everything is so mainstream. Brooke, brought up a great point- now even antiques that were one of a kind are being mass reproduced. These pillows and the table below, once the work of artisans, lose what made them special to begin with now that they are coming straight from China.
Image Wisteria
The new Restoration Hardware catalog, while I loved everything about it because it is so close to my personal style, broke my heart a little because I knew this style would become a phase.
In this image from Pottery Barn I spy many things once considered "finds" but now available to everyone with a click of the mouse.
Image Pottery Barn
I think really this is about 2 different issues I am having. The first issue is that sometimes it seems nothing is special anymore, anything considered cool is mass produced in China in the stores a month later. Don't get me wrong, I am happy that great design is available for everyone-myself included, that is I am happy until my antique store or Market find is the next cover of PB. The second issue, and really the idea behind this post, is what happens when something that defines your style becomes "in"?
Image HERE
Right now Gray is big, it is "the new brown". I love this because I love gray, always have. However, when Gray sees it way out the door to make room for the next "it" color, where does that leave me?
Image HERE
I am pretty sure I will always love Gray and when it is out it will not matter to me. What about other styles I have long admired? Industrial for example...
Image HERE

Even better, a very long time favorite of mine that Brooke mentioned as well, Belgium inspired interiors?
Image HERE

For me, I think certain styles will hold a special place in my heart long after they are no longer the "in" thing. I struggle more with specific items, for example certain fabrics. Take the Schumacher Chiang Mia Dragon, I love it, have since the first moment I saw it. Now that it is everywhere it is not that I don't love it every time I see it, I just don't know that I will ever personally use it. (who knows though because I really do love it and every time I see someone use it I smile)
So I want your opinions, I would love to hear your thoughts on this. If something you love becomes "in", when it is "out" do you have to stop loving it or become dated? What do you love that has become popular? How has that affected your feelings about the style or object? I know so many of you are feeling the same way, tell what conclusions you have come to!

No Response to "One Day Your In....."

Post a Comment