Modern Twist on Classical Designs

Modern adaptations of classical architecture have their place.  It is very easy to completely destroy what started out as a great design.  I see it all the time on additions to old houses.


However, when done right and an architect puts his spin on period revival architecture the outcome can be outstanding.  One of the best I know of for doing this is Bobby McAlpine and his partner Greg Tankersley of McAlpine Tankersley.  They describe their work as "nurturing, compassionate, soulful," the firm's architecture, wedding historical precedence with graceful modern living, is a timeless and romantic pursuit of "The Inheritable House".

And do they ever.  What is even more amazing is that their firm is headquartered in little Montgomery, Alabama.  You know how us Southerners (I'm from Baton Rouge) love great architecture.  Below are some pictures of their work.  These pictures came from both Southern Accents and Veranda.


The picture above and directly below are of Bobby McAlpine's house he built in Montgomery quite a few years ago.  He has since sold it and restored another house.


The three pictures above are of a house I saw when I was visiting family in Memphis and taking my early morning architecture drive (I do this in every city I visit).  At the time, I didn't know it was a McAlpine-Tankersley house but it caught my eye from 500' away.

The next two pictures are of Greg Tankersley's personal house.


I'll do more posts on modern adaptations of period revival homes and the architects who are doing great work.


No Response to "Modern Twist on Classical Designs"

Post a Comment